Tuesday, August 29, 2006

no more secret pal 9

so i saw grumperina's button about "i'm my own pal" and naturally, i thought of secret pal.

Then i saw the origin of the button (click the button in the side bar to view). I like the concept of the whole thing.. .but the mandatory 60 spending... i really dislike that, i mean, gift giving should be gift giving. when the del ray group had an xmas exchange, we said $5 bucks. or was it 10? but still, it's manageable. and the $60 doesn't include time or posting to ship. so you could make a wonderful clapotis that costs more than $80 to make, but that's not good enough - well that's how it seemed to me in reading. so yeah. it's off my list now.

so anyway - b/c i have nothing to do, this is what i'm going to do...

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end and/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? yes. hahahah. that or a hand painted snob.

2. Do you spin? Crochet? Just a knitter at this point. (not edited)

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.). i DISLIKE smellies. I dislike flowery smells.

4. How long have you been knitting?ummm continuously... probably since 2005?

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, but it's private, I don't like people all up in my biz.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I don't like smelly stuff. i'm really picky about the smells. Typically I like lavendar and eucalyptus - but if it's made wrong I hate it. I do like clean fresh scents though.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes, but anything too sweet hurts my teeth.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I paint. I would like to take up sewing since I've inherited my mom's sewing machine and table.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) ooooh... it's easier to say the artists: stan getz, ella fitzgerald, miles davis, fiona apple, mos def, floetry, jill scott, k-os, bjork, gypsy kings, amel lerruix (spelling), jaoa gilberto, bob dylan, marchoobea (spelling), the roots, rage against the machine, tribe called quest, black eyed peas, classical music...

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? my favorite color is blue (subtle, soft, muted). but i'm really begining to like green (not a puke color green where there's too much yellow in it). i'm starting to appreciate bright colors, but neons are totally not it. ummm purples, pinks, those are working well. reds are iffy - they have to be a really rich color red and not a crayola plasticy looking red. pastels and fall colors are gorgeous. if you look at my photo album a

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live with my roommate and my 2 chow chows. i lvoe finding chow chow stuff b/c you NEVER see those breed products anywhere.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) I want to work for my self. I want to retire young if I can't work for myself. I want to move away from DC to NY, WA, MA, IL, or CA.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Hmmm... varigrated... but GOOD varigrated. not the varigrated that can't make up it's mind on whether or not to be solid, striped, or varigrated. It's like a 3 in one abomination. For good varigrated please see brooklynhandspun.com for slightly striped but varigrated enough to not be stripe, please fee fearless fibers

my latest passion is subtle solids.... oh so dreamy.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I absolutely stay away from acrylic. Any wierd fibers like buffalo. I do have a desire for cashmere or just something soft... oh and the fancy fur type stuff... or the ladder looking stuff... with the obnoxious colors

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? hmmm... socks =) knitting socks with GOOD varigrated yarn

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? hahaha socks =) right now, socks. i'm in school and work, so this is somethign that i won't want to stab myself for not finishing

17. What are you knitting right now? See sidebar up update =)

18. What do you think about ponchos? Cute! but i'm small, so i'm picky about how stuff hangs on me. I mean, I can still fit into size 12 in the kid's section at Target, but someh

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circulars because I never have to worry about losing needles... straights are nice though. I'm usually a buyer of lantern moon straights b/c i'm a big alturist.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? no plastic. if it's wood, ebony, blonde (no rose wood or palm, i don't like the look of them) or bamboo. i do not mind addi's and have been wanting to try knit pick's new line.

21. Are you a sock knitter? Yep. (no change)

22. How did you learn to knit? Taught myself at first with books and a bad cd from jo-ann's. but i got a dvd from yarnbag.com and have been loving it ever since.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? ummm my karabella cowl neck sweater is still unfinished, so i guess a year or so?

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? animated character? i like anime, how about that =)

25. What is your favorite holiday? i don't have one. i really think they're just commercialized or have lost all well intended meanings. i only like them b/c i don't have to work during them.

26. Is there anything that you collect? yarn...patterns that i'll probably never get too, books... lots of books, mangas right now. school books if you count the fact i have no choice. anything snazzy chow chow related.

---end---

references:
secret pal 9 rules: http://secretpal9.blogspot.com/2006/08/rules.html

grump's link about secret pal 5: http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/05/favorite_bird.htm

wine and needles secret pal questions: http://wineandneedles.blogspot.com/2005/01/about-me-list-with-purpose-secret-pal.html
*not edited or no change = from wine and needle's blog

No comments: